Tuesday, 15 November 2011
20 Things About Van that May or May Not Be True (thanks Mike Gee)
1. He's an only child.
2. He left school at 14.
3. He's a sucker for chocolate ice cream. (aren't we all?)
4. He once told an interviewer that he eats nine full meals a day. (But lately he seems to have lost weight so that can't possibly be true.)
5. He told another interviewer that he has never performed a song the same way twice in his more than 40 years of performing.
6. He has been married twice - to beautiful women with long, dark hair.
7. He always sits with his back against the wall. (this is a lyric line too)
8. He will eat a sandwich only if the crusts are neatly deleted.
9. He once found an interview so onerous that he ran off down the street trying to elude his questioner, who ran after him, and who later retaliated by writing that Van had 'the belly of a baker and skin the color of boiled cabbage.'
10. He sent a letter to one biographer listing thirty-six mistakes he had found in the book. (Steve Turner?)
11. He has received an honorary doctorate of letters from the University of Ulster.
12. He has received an Order of the British Empire from the Queen of England.
13. He dedicated the Beautiful Vision album to Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.
14. He has expressed interest in teaching philosophy at Belfast University.
15. He once stopped in the middle of a concert in Holland and suddenly recited the Lord's Prayer.
16. In recent performances he has asked that alcohol not be sold during the performance.
17. He has sung with Richard Gere and Kermit the Frog.
18. He recorded a version of Cú Chulainn's saga for a cassette issued by a company called Moles of Bath.
19. He has said that his favourite single concert was for a handful of people on a winter night in the Church of Saint Stogumber in the Vale of Avalon - a free concert arranged by the local schoolteacher.
20. His favorite television show is Fawlty Towers.