Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Songfacts




Songfacts is a great music forum with lots of information about individual songs.  Thousands of songs have been listed and various facts about each song have been collected. There are also some fan opinions on the site.  A few Van songs are featured like the classic Into the Mystic.  Below is a sample of some of the content at Songfacts:


"Only Van knows what it all means, right? It was number 5905 of the Moondance CD played on the jukebox at a local pub where I hung out in college... which is where I first heard it. I spent many quarters of my laundry money on this one song to the exasperation of the bar tenders who would have rather heard AC/DC, I'm sure. It got me through a period of sadness in my life. Yet, I played it at my wedding recently as well....a time of true happiness. It is my favourite song. I can't explain why except by saying that Van's music speaks to the soul! I love everything I've heard from him. Also, we played No Guru, No Teacher, before my wedding started. I read "The Shack" recently and was amazed by the parallel between No Guru and the "celebration" segment of the story in this novel. There is something spiritual about Van's music. Is it the lyrics, his Bluesy voice, or the arrangement of lovely music. Perhaps it is all of this and more still. I don't know. I just know I find solace within its ebb and flow.
 God Bless You, Van!  -   Malachi, Dublin

"Into The Mystic - a Christian viewpoint
We were born before the wind - (Adam was created or "born" before the wind which came about after his fall from grace, when the world received it's curse, that's when weather or "wind" began)
Also younger than the sun - (The sun was made on the fourth day of creation, Adam on the sixth, making him 2 days younger than the sun)
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into the mystic - (According to the traditional Irish Skye Boat Song, the line "Carry the lad that is born to be king" could be referring to the Christ child, born to be king, thus they were One with Christ or the' bonnie boat' as they "sailed" into their wondrous life)
Hark, now hear the sailors cry - (Now that man has fallen everything has changed, he feels cold, needs coverings, all Is not well, hunger thirst and corruption are its inhabitants, the people who are "sailing" through time "cry" out in their agony)
Smell the sea and feel the sky - (There was no rain before the fall of man, streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground, but now they could feel the rain from the sky come down, and smell that now raging sea)
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic - (Fallen man is doomed to an eternal life apart from God unless God's grace which was offered him, is received by letting his 'soul and spirit fly' or return to the 'mystic' or wonderful life with Christ)
And when that fog horn blows I will be coming home - (The Bible states: "For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call (fog horn) of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever")
And when that fog horn blows I want to hear it - (The call to come home to Christ, come quickly!)
I don't have to fear it - (It will signal the restoration to perfection and reconciliation with God)
I want to rock your gypsy soul - (enjoying the life as it was intended)
Just like way back in the days of old - ("days of old" back before the 'fall')
Then magnificently we will float into the mystic - ("float" those raging seas are now calm and glassy, and the perfectly wonderful life with our "bonnie boat" continues)
And when that fog horn blows you know I will be coming home
And when that fog horn whistle blows I got to hear it
I don't have to fear itI want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
And together we will float into the mystic
Come on girl...- Dan, Detroit, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment