Monday, 15 October 2012

Van Quotes Part 4

 

  31.  There is one thing I don't understand about Astral Weeks. Of all the records I have ever made that one is definitely not rock. You could throw that record at the wall, take it to music colleges, analyse it to death. Nobody is going to tell me that it is a rock album. Why they keep calling it one I have no idea.

  32.  People think I'm eccentric, cranky. If I'm eccentric because I've never been into mainstream things, then I am eccentric.
  33.  I've never been comfortable working live, and I'm still not. I was always more music-oriented and less star-oriented, which is why I've never been comfortable on big stages in big halls.
  34.  The people I was listening to never sold a lot of records. John Lee Hooker was never on the charts, so I was never in it from a commercial point of view. Other people expected things from my records, but I never did.
  35.  I don't think I will ever mellow out. I think if you mellow out, you get eaten up. You become like a commodity. So I don't think I will mellow out. It is not in my blood.

  36.   You can't stay the same. If you're a musician and a singer, you have to change, that's the way it works.

 37.   My ambition when I started out was to play two or three gigs a week. And that's what I'm doing.
 38.   Someone once described me as a maverick and that's what I would say. I'm a maverick not by choice but by conviction.
 39.  These days politics, religion, media seem to get all mixed up. Television became the new religion a long time back and the media has taken over.
 40.  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  

No comments:

Post a Comment