Thursday, 1 November 2012

Let's talk about Van Morrison


At Harmony Central Forums there are a lot of music forums but you have to sign up to view or participate.  I have to admit to having a bias toward the opinion of the non-music expert.  They are always interesting and sometimes surprising.  The following opinions come from a "Let's Talk about Van Morrison" forum. 

Xanaducomplex   -   Like him a lot. Though I really never want to hear Brown Eyed Girl ever again.  Yes, I know this a parody thread. Still, Van the man should get some love on this board.

MattSkibaIsGOD   -   He does a stellar rendition of the Mountains of Mourne.

tiger roach   -   One of the greats.  It's Too Late to Stop Now is an insanely good live album.
Groovmongrel   -   He's a fantastic songwriter and very good live. I read that Into The Mystic is the most played by doctors when performing surgery.

Goodusername   -   Briefly, Van acts like a prick supreme at soundcheck, more so than usual. Once he's barked into the mic and pissed off the rest of the band & crew amuse themselves by wiping his harmonicas up and down their sweaty bum cracks prior to the gig.
Kkyle   -   Without Van Morrison ten million garage bands would have never formed....G.L.O.R.I.A.!

Chicken Monkey   -   Most of his 8,000 albums since the 70s make for great adult-contemporary radio filler, but he had a fantastic run there in the 70s, what with Tupelo Honey, His Band & Street Choir, etc.
Devil is Dill   -   He falls into the "should like them but don't" category for me.

dmn23   -   Opinions required: Every now and then we'll do Domino in rehearsal just because we like the song, it sounds good, and it's fun to play. Obviously we don't have Van's horn section so that leaves me wondering whether it would be silly to try to pull it off live. What say you?
Chicken Monkey   -   Opinions required: Every now and then we'll do Domino in rehearsal just because we like the song, it sounds good, and it's fun to play. Obviously we don't have Van's horn section so that leaves me wondering whether it would be silly to try to pull it off live. What say you?  I can't hear it without horns. I'd need a clip to be certain that this sounds like a bad idea.
Tralfaz   -   I like some of his early stuff, but in general I dislike the sound of his voice.
hi.flyer   -   Nice voice, cool influences; jazzy folk type of things. Honestly I've never really heard much more than Brown Eyed Girl and that album with Moondance on it but yea, good stuff. Horns and whatnot. Also, the harpsichord jam is Everyone=full of win.

dmn23   -   For me the gotta-haves are Astral Weeks, Moondance, St. Dominic's Preview, Veedon Fleece, and His Band & Street Choir. Those are all amazing, particularly Astral Weeks. Someone talked about getting laid to Moondance; Astral Weeks was the one that worked for me. I never really cared for Tupelo Honey though (the album, not the song itself). He was too damned happy. The rest of his catalogue is of a uniformly high quality but it all starts to run together for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment