Wednesday, 17 July 2013

My First Festival by Emma Lee-Potter

 
Van Morrison at Cornbury July 7, 2013

Writer Emma Lee-Potter has written an interesting post about her first festival which happened to include Van's recent appearance at Cornbury.  Below is an edited version of her post.  

I actually went to a festival. Admittedly it was only for a day and it was Cornbury, or Poshstock as it’s known.  It’s held on the Great Tew estate in the wilds of Oxfordshire and the fact that David Cameron goes every year (and popped in on Saturday with his family to see Keane) probably says it all.
 
We hared down the hill to the Pleasant Valley stage to see the brilliant Amy Macdonald, who’d made it to Cornbury after a 24-hour trip from Switzerland, where she’d played her previous gig. Her tour bus broke down near the Swiss border and her band arrived onstage with just minutes to spare. “I thought I was going to have to sing a capella,” she joked.
An hour later it was the turn of Van Morrison, cool and enigmatic in a dark suit and white hat. I’d never seen him perform live before and loved the fact that he does everything on his own terms. There was no banter between numbers and no attempt to charm the audience. “He’s not very chatty, is he?” whispered my daughter. Neither of us cared though because he just got on with the music. And what stunning music it was, the soundtrack of my life really.

After just over an hour of jazz, soul and rhythm and blues, Van the Man nodded to his band and left the stage. I fully expected him to return but a middle-aged woman standing next to me smiled knowingly and pointed out a man in a white hat disappearing down the steps at the back. “He’s notorious for that,” she said. “He often wears a black hat so you don’t even see him go. I should think he’s on the Chipping Norton road by now…”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment