Friday, 13 June 2014

Van Morrison Quotes - Part 6


51. There were two branches of rock 'n' roll when I was brought up -- a straight commercial thing that included Presley, Ricky Nelson, Roy Orbison. The other branch was Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, people who were a little less commercial than Elvis. Jerry Lee seemed to have a lot more going on. He covered a lot of territory, so I used to listen to him.
52. To perform I almost have to assume another identity.  I have to almost play a part and psyched up to walk on stage ... 'cause I'm really very shy, you see. 


53.  I've never flipped out.  I'm too crazy to flip out.

54.  John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters. I was listening to that stuff since I was two or three. To me, blues seemed better than rock 'n' roll. I remember, I was in London playing in a show band, and I went to this club and a band came on, and all they played was Bo Diddley and Jimmy Reed. I said, "Well, if they're getting away with it, I can, too."


55.  If I was a gunslinger, there'd be a lot of dead copycats out there.   

56. So I went back to Belfast and started an R&B club at the Maritime Hotel, which had been a dance hall for sailors. But we turned it into an R&B club, and somebody showed up from Decca and we made a couple of singles. That was with the group Them. The song "Gloria" came from listening to those old blues records.
57. I got to the States by complete accident. This guy called Bert Berns came over. Phil Solomon was managing us at the time, and he brought Bert over to produce Them. He produced a few tracks, and then he had to go back, so we finished it on our own. But before Bert left he said, "I would really like to work with you guys again," and that's how we left it.

58. "There is one thing I don't understand about Astral Weeks... Nobody is going to tell me that it is a rock album. Why they keep calling it one I have no idea."
59.  I actually recorded some of the songs that eventually wound up on Astral Weeks for Bert. I did one album for Bert, and then for a second he said, "You know we have to get you back into the studio," that sort of thing. So I played him a tape, me on guitar, and he said, "Great, this is what we should do." Just like that. He said, "We'll fill out a little here, put that there." Well, I showed up for the session, and forty people are there -- four guitar players, four keyboard players, five singers, four entire rhythm sections. It was bizarre. 

60.  What am I going to do - move to Ireland and open a grocery store?  I'm in the music business.

No comments:

Post a Comment