Sunday, 14 May 2017

Funny Things People Say - Part 18


M.J.   -   Other wacky news includes the meteor that HIT. EARTH.  I should note that I am not, in any way, an expert on astral things other than my obsession with Van Morrison's Astral Weeks album but, knowing how big the universe allegedly is, this story scares the beejezus out of me.   Now I have to add 'meteor' to my 'things-to-watch-out-for' list when I walk out of my house every day.


Alan Bairner   -   Van said in 1986, "East Belfast was totally Protestant, there was a couple of Catholics. But… There wasn’t any problems, there wasn’t any friction or anything like that.” Again one is struck by the air of blissful ignorance that is perfectly in keeping with the impression still fondly held by many Ulster Unionists that their “wee country” was an unproblematic place until a few republicans and left-wing fellow travellers decided to create problems at the end of the 1960s."


Sal Nunziato   -   Some think Van Morrison is crap. Some think Dylan is crap. 


William Crawley   -   I think it's also true that Belfast, Morrison's home town, has not yet recognised him appropriately. But a greater writer than James Joyce? In one song, Morrison says, "Been too long in exile / Just like James Joyce, Baby". I'll grant you that: they are both exilic prophets (... ish), but a greater writer than Joyce and Yeats? Rave on.

J. W. Brewer   -   For extra credit, try diagramming "the love that loves the love that loves the love that loves the love that loves to love the love that loves to love the love that loves," which is one transcription (I haven't collated sources, but I wouldn't be surprised if not all transcribers are in complete accord on the details) of part of Van Morrison's song Madame George. Which I would rather listen to than anything Trent Reznor has recorded.


Whyskeletonwhy   -   If you can hear Van Morrison’s Blue Money in the Sesame Street theme song, and can hear the Sesame Street theme song in Wilco’s Outta Mind/Outta Sight, we might have something in common. 

Brian Kaufman   -   I am thirteen years old and I’m sitting in my South Van bedroom spinning 45s on my RCA Victor mono record player—The Who, The Animals, The Stones, The Yardbirds, Them—‘Van the Man’ belting out “G-l-o-r-i-a” before anybody knew anything about the little brown-eyed girl “down in the hollow, playin’ a new game”, or who the hell Van Morrison was—and, of course, The Beatles.


Sarcastro   -   Didn't Van Morrison have a song called "Klanvarn"? No?

Christopher Robley   -   Sure, Radiohead never plays Creep anymore. Van Morrison never plays Brown Eyed Girl. But you’re not them. 

Paul Zahl   -   But what is Caravan about?  I don’t understand what Caravan is about.


DZ   -   Caravan is clearly about the need to turn on our electric lights. and turn UP our radios.

Paul Klee   -   Van Morrison is a concept you sneak up on, capture it and spend the rest of your life feeding it. Am I on anyone's wavelength here? Not radio? 

Sunshineinlondon   -   I’ve learnt that when Van picks up his harmonica, he starts to play it upside-down. 

Paul Zahl   -   OK, I understand about the song now. Lights and radios.  Anyway, I think this conversation would do better to explore the fascinating link between Van Morrison and Northern Irish Anglicanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment